Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator The Movie Helmets
Some Viking, Persian and other helmets appear in 'Gladiator',which would not be out of place in 'Lord of the Rings'. Those latter films have a lot to answer for as witness the 'historically accurate' Persian costumes in '300', the Viking costumes in 'The Pathfinder' and the latest 18th century costume worn by KK in the next 'Pirates' episode!

Simon Atherton, the armourer on 'Gladiator' is quoted as saying he could not find much evidence for armour of that period! Nevertheless they still came up with the helmet used by the Praetorians based on one from Germany, (cue Tarbicus to supply a picture).

This follows in the tradition of 'The Fall of the Roman Empire' which had helmets used by the guards based on two examples from Heddernheim. These helmets unlike those in 'Gladiator' were actually made in Tunisia from copper as I have seen some survivors. The basic infantry helmet in this film was a sort of Italic or Gallic type not like those described as English Civil War types by Jim.

Bearing in mind they are sometimes thrown at people it is not unusual to have rubber tipped spears in films. Other bendy examples can be seen in 'King of Kings'. However the reason why they are in rubber can clearly be seen in '300 Spartans' when a Persian immortal catches one full in the face! Also hand a sword or a spear to a member of the public (ie extras) and they immediately want to swing them around! Which is why such practices are frowned upon these days.

A wristwatch is famously supposed to be visible in 'The Viking Queen'. The film is about Boudicca so already with the title things have gone seriously wrong. I suppose Vikings are more bankable than Celts! I have seen the film several times which is sad in itself but I have never ever seen the wristwatch, nor a helicopter shadow in El Cid or the Tyre tracks in the circus in Ben-Hur. I guess it is even sadder to go through a film frame by frame to find these things rather than just enjoy them for what they are..

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Gladiator The Movie Helmets - by Virilis - 04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Re: Gladiator The Movie Helmets - by Caballo - 04-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Re: Gladiator The Movie Helmets - by Uwe Bahr - 04-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Re: Gladiator The Movie Helmets - by Virilis - 04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Re: Gladiator The Movie Helmets - by Virilis - 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Re: Gladiator The Movie Helmets - by Tarbicus - 04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Gladiator armour - by Graham Sumner - 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Jeans - by Graham Sumner - 04-26-2007, 04:41 PM