Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander
This is very good stuff to think about. For me the question is wether the "greatness" of a commander can/should be judged in a more technical way only or in the light of everything known and related about his time or in the light we feel about him and his time.

Unfortunately every scholar being a human with a partly predefined view of the world is biased so objective statements are not possible but that's not bad as far as the terms of the statements are clear.

So speaking with my feelings about what polititians and commanders should rather do, Hannibal, Alexander, Caesar and all the other unscrupulous great men who forced people and murdered their way through history for their or their countries "good cause" should be send to jail. They were no great men indeed compared with many of the boring politicians, scientists and businessmen who quietly did a lot more for the development of a (more or less) more human world.

When I take into account the limited view f.e. of Hannibal facing a cruel and mighty opponent, unable to tie up to a developed supernational legal system and living in a time where war, enslaving and killing people was seen as normal or even positive, I cannot blame him for the trial to deal with Rome the way he did. And technically he did well considering his limited sources.
Wolfgang Zeiler

Messages In This Thread
re - by Johnny Shumate - 04-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Re: Alexander the Great was antiquity\'s greatest commander - by geala - 04-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Re: - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Re: - by Thunder - 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,533 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 5,068 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,927 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes