Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but
Quote:Vortigern,
Vortigern Studies:sb37li7h Wrote:There is no evidence of emperors leading from the front in this period.
What about Constantine the Great ? According to the Anonymus Valesianus (5), during the second war against Lincinius :

Wouldn't this seem to imply an active role in the battle ?

And I also remember reading about Constantine leading the cavalry against the Sarmatians and personally throwing the heads of many he had slain at the feet of Galerius. Of course, Constantine wasn't emperor at the time - only an officer in the Eastern armies. Still, he seems to have been a true warrior who was more than capable of leading men from the front.

Aurelian has a similar past as described by the HA in 'Aurelian' [18].

Then there's Maxentius during the battle of the Milvian Bridge. Didn't he lead his men out of Rome to confront Constantine ?

In fact, many of the Ilyrian emperors seem to have been great warriors which is why moderns refer to them as soldier-emperors. So, Julian doesn't really stand out against this background. He was merely the last of the Ilyrians.

Hi Theo,

All true, but you're preaching to the converted. :wink: The point here is 'from the front'.
You are certainly correct about Constantine, Licinius and Maxentius, who were all with their armiesin active roles, as were Valerian, Valens and others.
However, the claim that I refuted was that these descriptions also meant that these men were also in the front ranks. This, apart from (probably) Julian, is not reflected in the sources.

Constantine the general is of course (as you already said) not the same as Constantine the emperor. So on campaign, yes, but in the front ranks, no.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
leather armour. - by Graham Sumner - 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Re: leather armour. - by Dan Howard - 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
MAIL - by Graham Sumner - 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Armour and Comfort - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Muskelpanzer - by Paullus Scipio - 12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Re: Muskelpanzer - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Caracalla\'s phalangites - by Paullus Scipio - 12-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Re: Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but - by Robert Vermaat - 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Build a Leather Musculata M. Demetrius 4 1,684 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Agraes
  Major update by Travis Lee Clark Lorica Musculata Antonius Congianocus 6 4,307 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Making a leather covered quilted linen cuirass Quintilianus 26 7,293 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: TDawson