Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some information on Military-Population
Hi there,

Im world building for a book right now, fantasy not history, and at the moment im working on populations and military dispositions.

Ive been searching dilligently on the net for information but am having a hard time tracking down what I need.

Basically im looking for a baseline idea of the % of military, army strength, against population.

I know the information, census data and troops strengths are debatable from ancient times, and im not looking for a 100% accurate answer just a good idea of figures to work from.

As best I can find it seems to be about 0.3-0.5% of total population would be the average throughout the Roman era.

The figures for the total population of the Empire at its peak are ranged from 70-120 million depending whos work you read. The military figures range from 300,000 - 700,000, again depending whos working the study.

I know not all of the troops would be available or fieldable, many were probably dead and just on the books, others retired, etc.

Im just trying to get a grasp of a reasonalbe military-population % to work from. The finer can be explained in terms of the combative nature of the nation, history, its economy, and of course its rulership.

Its ironic, through tiome ive gathered alot of information on logistics, tactics, military warfare etc, but when it came to putting forth a logical field strength for an army, I suddenly realised its not as simple as it seems.

Whether anyone has information or can point me at a good source, either would be greatly appreciated.

Im living iN Argentina and dont speak spanish natively (I speak it well enough but historical texts in spanish would kill me) so its not so easy to find good literature on the subject which is why im using the internet mainly.

Also any demographic information regarding population location is next on my list. People living int owns and villages and outside of cities compared to the city populations and how they make up the total Pop figure.

My best information so far is that around 80% of the ROman population would be city dwelling with the vast majority living in rural communities and villages in Roman lands.

Well, thanks to anyone that can help.
Karl Dammer

Messages In This Thread
Looking for some information on Military-Population - by Nomad - 01-26-2007, 06:05 PM