Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faceguards on Celtic helmets?
Hi all. I'm member of a Celtic unit that fights in Dagorhir and Belegarth, so we're not reinactors or living history, but we try to be as authentic as possible.

So, I've been sifting through the internet, some books I have, and what little archaeological stuff I can get access to at home, and I can't find any evidence for pre-Viking helmets with any sort of face mask, nose guard, anything. This is a problem, because I'm seriously considering a helmet, and I'd like a bit of protection against faceshots from arrows. (For those of you not familiar with our sport, our arrows are highly padded and safe, which means that they are one of the only weapons, with javelins, from which we allow headshots. Helmets are 100% protection against them. Playability over realism in the combat rules.)

My question is, then, does anyone have any examples of Celtic helmets with any sort of face protection? Late insular La Tene would I suppose be my first preference, but that's a bit picky. Basically, anything post-Bronze age and pre-Vikings, from any given Celtic area you like, would be a wonderful starting place. As an archaeology major, I've plenty of experience with how well artifacts can be traded around to various areas far from their place of manufacture, and the contact between different groups of what we call Celts was pretty high. For reference, though, our group is mostly Red Branch or Fenian period Irish.

Of course, there is a strong possibility that lacking any real examples I might just fudge a bit on it, but I'm kinda hoping not to have to . . .
Oisín Leathshúileach
Ben Mudd
LÃ¥ech
Fianna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world

Messages In This Thread
Faceguards on Celtic helmets? - by Oisin - 12-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Re: Faceguards on Celtic helmets? - by Oisin - 12-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Re: Faceguards on Celtic helmets? - by Agraes - 12-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Re: Faceguards on Celtic helmets? - by Lugorix - 12-20-2006, 03:39 PM