Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello...
There were about 15-20 Romans at Roman Days MD last year, and as Rich said, 20+ this year. Us in Leg III Cyr hope to have an even better turnout for RDMD next year!

For events up in New England, we've had about a dozen at some events, and if we had *everyone* in our group, including merchants/vendors and civilians, we have over 30 members - and I believe we have about 20 soldiers, mixed both Legionaries and some Aux's.

As for visitor/patron numbers, I can't readily tell you, I've too many things to worry about to count people coming in, but our Roman Market Days in Maine have had probably a few hundred; our Roman Days Northeast have had probably a hundred or so.

At Higgins, where Leg III and myself give monthly demos, I've had as little as half a dozen to over 100 for those regular demos, as as many as 400+ come to the museum for museum special events (such as Founder's Day 1st weekend in January)...Dare I say/If I remember correctly, as many as 1,000 visitors at one event.

The numbers for visitors I've seen fluctuate over the years, it's just one of those things you can't easily anticipate. What's [worse] with being in New England/Massachusetts, there is a stubborn tradition of F&I, Rev War and ACW events, as those are the periods that are most heavily rooted in this region. (there has also been an incredible explosion of "weekend events" of all shapes sizes and interests in the last 3 years)

Trying to have Roman or Medieval has always been tricky, the "unique"/"quirky" factor of the ancient reenacting has been difficult to 'market'. Although as Roman info and availability of good gear becomes more common, we've seen some interest from [ACW] reenactors/cross-over, as well as interest as we as a group try to make ourselves better known.

To answer your question on Celtic/"Enemy" reenactor groups, that's really in it's early stages I think. The "enemies" at RD MD have been outstanding, and there are some who are trying hard. Hopefully as more information is found, we'll have a better catalog for [celtic] stuff, as have the Roman stuff has been in the last 10 someodd years.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Hello... - by Tiberius Moravius Arverni - 11-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Re: Hello... - by Matt Lukes - 11-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Re: Hello... - by Dan Diffendale - 11-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Re: Hello... - by SOCL - 11-18-2006, 05:04 AM
Re: Hello... - by Matt Lukes - 11-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Wow... - by Tiberius Moravius Arverni - 11-19-2006, 02:49 AM
Roman Days - by richard - 11-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Re: Hello... - by Hibernicus - 11-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Re: Hello... - by A_Volpe - 11-21-2006, 11:10 PM