Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead weight... wood .. who knows!
BTW, these food for thought and what if topics have been fun, even useful....... Cool!

So, some, experts and historians and archaeologist and hobbyists have speculated that the ball at the base of the pyramidal wood shaft head might be a lead weight.. some of us have had a chance to toss some of these reproductions about... I'm even making some more.. varying some variables... and will post results later

But, here's another one to think about and comment on.

Most of us who've chucked a pila or two tend to hold it somewhat like a modern Olympic javelin and heave away. Some use a finger loop. Others grip the shaft at varying locations for a variety of reasons... balance point, better loft arc, "I've always done it this way".. etc etc..

Has anyone else held the lead weight like a ball and thrown from that position? Some of us have and find that the pilum can be easier to toss.. like throwing a ball! Tends to fly straighter with less effort than throwing from the shaft.

So maybe, if the ball was wood and not lead and you tossed the pilum that way...??

I see another project on the near horizon!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Messages In This Thread
Lead weight... wood .. who knows! - by Hibernicus - 11-08-2006, 12:53 AM
re: - by Johnny Shumate - 11-08-2006, 03:55 AM
Re: Lead weight... wood .. who knows! - by Magnus - 11-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Re: Lead weight... wood .. who knows! - by Magnus - 11-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Re: Lead weight... wood .. who knows! - by Luca - 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM