Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallic cavalry. . or German or any western cav. . help!
The mix of cavalry and light infantry was a fairly common tactic- Alexander used it on several occasions, for example. It added extra firepower, and in a melee the might infantry could squeeze among the enemy horses, pull down riders and gall mounts. It also meant that enemy cavalry couldn't just ride down the missile infantry. Some medieval Moslem cavalry often dismounted to shoot (it gave a more stable platform, and put the horse at less risk from counterfire) but I can't think of any ancient examples.

There was a recent thread on "What was the function of ancient cavalry?" which might have some things of interest. Suffice it to say that I am not convinced that no cavalry would charge into a dense mass of infantry. Aside from disorderly troops or ones without long weapons, there are disquieting accounts of cavalry getting into pike reach of the infantry they had charged. This is hard to explain, given what I know of horse behavior.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Treveri cavalry - by Treveri Gaul - 10-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Campanian/Tarentine cavalry - by philsidnell - 04-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Re: Gallic cavalry. . or German or any western cav. . help! - by Sean Manning - 04-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Germanic Cavalry (Gallic Wars) SCOH 3 2,134 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar