Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Military & Christianity: Concord, Discord, Or...?
I would appreciate recommendations & comparative/relative ratings of any good books specifically on the Roman military & Christianity.

Websites & books that I've read so far indicate that among those who considered themselves to be Christians, that compared to the general population, disproportionately few of them were in the Roman military during the first three centuries AD.

Evidence is understandably thin either way. Partly "don't ask, don't tell." Partly "what they know could hurt me."

Christian hagiography includes some valid examples of Christians serving in the Roman military. More were martyrs than not.

Emperor Galerius made a deathbed declaration of religious freedom in 311 AD. Emperor Theodosius I made a declaration for Christianity to be Roman Empire's state religion in 392.

Seems that those who considered themselves to be Christians would have become an increasingly larger percentage of the Roman military during the 4th & 5th centuries. However, I have not found many primary or strong secondary references for that so far.

I plan to post more message here as my studies on Romans & Christianity progress. Of course, I always appreciate others' help along the way. Big Grin
AMDG
Wm. / *r

Messages In This Thread
Roman Military & Christianity: Concord, Discord, Or...? - by Restitvtvs - 09-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman conservatism - Christianity - Persecution Timotheus 8 2,595 09-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Salvianus