Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the scutum have a horizontal grip?
The other day when I was looking as scutums, I was surprised when I noticed that the grip was horizontal not vertical. Now the only ones I saw were from reenactors. At first I thought that maybe it was just the way they preferred it, then immediately realized that they go for authenticity, they wouldn’t change the design for personal comfort.

So I was wondering why? I would have thought that the grip would have been vertically so you could easily hold it and at the same time use your forearm to help push up against it, plus being horizontal I would assume that when the scutum is struck on its upper part that it would slide into your head or chest, where as a vertical grip allows you more control from toggling up or down.

I tried to visualize why, then realized that it forced you to face your opponent head on, you had to turn your body directly into him, facing him, since it would be hard on the wrist if you didn’t and at the same time, it didn’t allow you to turn and hide behind your shield, but the shield would still flop up or down when hit from the top or bottom, where a vertical wouldn’t.

The only thing I can come up with, is that the higher ups decided that forcing an aggressive head on stance was the motivating factor. Better to take the stance and have the scutum toggle up or down, depending where its hit, rather then have the troops mentally take a defensive position behind the shield.

Can someone elaborate on why the grip of the scutum is horizontal not vertical? Do you agree with my conclusion or did I just mist the obvious.

Thanks
Steve

Messages In This Thread
Why did the scutum have a horizontal grip? - by stevesarak - 04-18-2006, 04:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum Grip Cobra 40 10,597 10-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat