Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Battle That Stopped Rome - Wells, Peter S
DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK.
This is the best candidate for book burning in years.

The author knows something about archaeology, but is incapable of understanding sources. He discards them because they are written some time after the events, and therefore argues that the battle took place in one single day. That Dio and Tacitus state that it lasted three days, is ignored, althought they are independent sources. (Please note the odd inconsistency: the identification of the site is partly based on information from the same sources. This is poor method. You can not use a source for one part of your research and ignore it for another part.)

An acquiantance of mine knows the author and kindly gave me his mail-address; so I wrote the author, who did not consider me worthy to reply. A better book is Tony Clunn, In Quest of the Lost Legions (1999) [updated edition 2005]). I know that Adrian Murdoch is preparing Death in the forest. And perhaps my own little website is useful to you: [urlConfusedtg806w1]http://www.livius.org/te-tg/teutoburg/teutoburg01.htm[/url].
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Battle That Stopped Rome - Wells, Peter S - by Jona Lendering - 04-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Out of Print - by Primitivus - 04-14-2006, 06:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \'Battle For Rome\' On Military Channel USA Methos 10 3,356 03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  The Battle for Rome arklore70 4 1,708 11-16-2006, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  THE BATTLE THAT STOPPED ROME Bill Altimari 18 3,217 12-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius