Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum sword, balteus, pugio on Pompeii exhibit
3: they appear to be a belt of material of plates linked by silver stranded ropes, and this length is laying on top of the scabbard slightly askew. I seem to remember in the National Geographic painting of the soldier he's leading a horse: could this have been a part of the harness in silver? Maybe the horse landed on top of him.

6. I thought the medallions in the 'pendants' photo, look at the two at the left central, had similar medallion looking embossing. Maybe hard to tell as the corrosion is awful, but they seem to have a regular rim and something in the center.

8. this little buckle squashed into the pugio scabbard looks like nothing more than a lorica buckle; same cut and bent bronze sheet and tongue. Very cheap looking compared to everything else. I thought it could only be a part of the baldric, but then, why two belts? did the pugio suspension have an adjustment?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Herculaneum sword, balteus, pugio on Pompeii exhibit - by richard - 03-09-2006, 03:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cutting tests with sword and pugio / experiment caiusbeerquitius 31 5,371 08-10-2012, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Visiting Pompeii/Herculaneum Domitia 9 2,108 02-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Vindex
  Gutterman Collection Pompeii pattern sword derek forrest 1 1,448 12-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Anonymous