Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum sword, balteus, pugio on Pompeii exhibit
I just had the opportunity to go to Chicago and see the Pompeii exhibit. The Herculaneum sword, pugio and belts are there, and there were a few things that are apparent or stated that I didn't know about the artifacts:

1. they're all silver
2. the pugio frogs are as big as the belt plates
3. there are plates attached by silver ropes running down the side of the scabbard: what are these? they're laying on top of the scabbard that appears to be normally decorated. The leather appears to be there and there is some wood showing.
4. the grip shows clearly in the exhibit, but the photo in the exhibit book is encrusted. The ridges on the black grip are deep and sharp.
5. contrary to the reproductions from Albion et al, the silver belt plates have ridges on the rolled edges. The rivets are large silver Frankenstein sized bolt heads
6. the pendants are fastened to the leather not by little rivets, but by medallions, about 1cm across
7. The two buckles are quite diffeent, one being very chunky in style.
8. there is a small bronze buckle, maybe the adjustment to the sword belt? embedded in the pugio scabbard.

I suspect the poor sod was mashed flat by the pyroclastic flow hitting him.
Other observations?
I did have a few photos that I snuck in, if anyone's interested and won't tell the Field museum..

Anyone else notice other aspects?

Grip
Pendants
buckles
Scabbard
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
Herculaneum sword, balteus, pugio on Pompeii exhibit - by richard - 03-08-2006, 02:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cutting tests with sword and pugio / experiment caiusbeerquitius 31 5,367 08-10-2012, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Visiting Pompeii/Herculaneum Domitia 9 2,107 02-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Vindex
  Gutterman Collection Pompeii pattern sword derek forrest 1 1,445 12-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Anonymous