Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IX Hispania Disappearance Myth
I know that very little of this is true if any but I like the story.

I'm trying to find a good account of the story of the Legio IX Hispania disappearing in Scotland.

I have been told a story of the Legio IX being sent from Hadrian's Wall to conquer the highlands of Scotland. They were subject to many small abushes as they marched north and this took its toll on the men. By the time they had reached the area around the Black Isle they had lost around 200 men.

They set up a temporary camp on the coast near Nigg and one day the Cheif of the Picts came to speak with their commander. He looked so fierce with his painted face that not a single Roman was prepared to stop him and as he marched into the camp accompanied only by his daughter of 12 years old. He went straight to the commander of the camp and made him an offer. He challenged him to single combat, if the leader of the Picts won then the Romans would leave their land and if the Romans won then the Picts would surrender.

The Roman accepted and appointed a champion to fight on his behalf. They fought and eventually the Pict managed to pin down his opponent with his spear against his enemy's throat. The leader of the Picts announced his victory and chose to spare the man's life. As he stood up and turned around to leave the champion brought down his sword cutting into the Pict's head and killing him instantly.

Enraged, the daughter picked up her father's spear and thrust it into the champion's abdomen. She was then grabbed by the Romans and brutally killed. But with her last breath she cursed the Romans and as the life left her body the cliffs below them opened up and demons with whips came out. The demons marched the Romans through the opening of the cliff and marched them into the underworld to be punished for eternity. The cliffs closed behind the last of the demons and took the shape of an Eagle to remember the Leio IX Hispania and the terrible thing they had done.

I have a photograph of the Eagle that I took earlier this year but I can't get it posted. I click add an attachment, select the file I want (jpg 100KB), enter a file comment and click add attachment but it doesn't work. What do I do?

Messages In This Thread
IX Hispania Disappearance Myth - by Hoojio - 02-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Re: IX Hispania Disappearance Myth - by Martin - 02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Re: IX Hispania Disappearance Myth - by Hoojio - 02-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Re: IX Hispania Disappearance Myth - by Spedius - 03-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Re: IX Hispania Disappearance Myth - by Spedius - 03-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Re: IX Hispania Disappearance Myth - by Spedius - 03-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Re: IX Hispania Disappearance Myth - by Spedius - 03-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Re: IX Hispania Disappearance Myth - by Spedius - 03-21-2006, 09:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another primary consideration in introduction & eventual disappearance of Segmentata? CNV2855 64 17,756 12-03-2015, 02:59 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Disappearance of the military triumph constantius 9 3,779 11-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Disappearance of velites Gladius Hispaniensis 12 4,603 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Coriolanus