Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military priests in Late Empire armies?
Quote:
Carlton Bach:q8nswva0 Wrote:Secondly, no priest could - technically - operate outside the authority of a bishop and be considered orthodox. I know of no 'military bishops' in Late Roman times, though today IIRC that is how many Western nations run their armed services chaplaincies.
Bishops were for a large part powerful men turning to the church.
Some of them were wealthy civilians, some retiring civil servants, some military men.
For instance, we have St. martin of Tours who supposedly was a commander. Or St. Germanus of Auxerre who is said to have held a rank in the defence of Armorica, and who lent some assistance against Saxon raiders in Britain as a bishop.
When Arbogast, the Frank who held Belgica I, delivered his province to Clovis in 486, he may well have been ordained bishop of Carnotense (Chartres) or taken the office voluntaruily - it was not without influence.
The Emperor Avitus was deposed in 456 and forced to become a bishop on the spot (though some say he was strangled or starved).
The usurper Glycerius abdicated in 474 and became bishop of Salonae (Salona).

Ah, sorry, misunderstanding. I didn't mean 'no bishops with military ties'. I meant 'no bishops whose diocese is the military forces'. In Germany, for example, one Lutheran and Catholic bishop each are 'military bishops' running the military chaplaincies. Today, they are also bishops of regular dioceses, but in the past, the 'military bishop' was an independent member of the episcopate.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Messages In This Thread
Re: Military priests in Late Empire armies? - by Carlton Bach - 02-22-2006, 08:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The two armies in the Imperial Presence late 4th C Colonel Chabert 11 2,322 12-16-2020, 09:30 AM
Last Post: nikgaukroger
  Late Roman Field Armies Protectores Donutici 27 9,487 04-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Frank
  Late Empire provision of swords? Richie 10 2,935 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs