Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louvre \'praetorian\' tunic observation
Quote:I suppose from purely a statistical point-of-view you could say there's a 2 in 5 chance they're all actually armored, but a 1 in 5 chance one or more isn't

You know, I had a similar thought after I logged out. But then I remembered that this figure with the over-tunic is unique in sculpture. So, in a bigger context, one could say it's less likely than 2-5 that the two men in the background are dressed like the soldier in question. :roll: :lol: On the other hand, maybe the whole thing is one big unique piece of work.

Quote:Do you assume that pteruges ONLY ever appeared on subarmali?

The evidence is so ambiguous. Either they were, or they were attached directly to the armor. Or maybe even both. I don't see another possibility. Graham Sumner talks about it in "Roman Military Clothing (2)" and even drew one based on later medieval versions.

But, to answer your question, yes, I do assume that (most of the time).

Quote:Yeah, it's unfortunate that the 'restoration' is so extensive- does anyone know for sure where it extends to? Does it really go as far as the neckline of the garment?

Well, if I did take the neck into consideration, I would say it looks like there's nothing underneath. However, that may not necessarily mean that there isn't, depending on the shape of the subarmalis. For example, my subarmalis is basically a vest - so it has a V-shaped neck line which would not be visible by looking at my neck. Just a possibility.

And just because it's a restoration, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's 100% guess work on the part of the restoration team. They may have known enough to know, for example, that the left hand figure wore a musculata. Although, Travis believes the finished job looks a bit bizarre when compared to other sculptures.

Quote:Oh, you didn't come off as confrontational- I just wanted to make sure you didn't see ME as that way

Ok, I'm glad Smile

Quote:It's very easy, when all one has is writing and the odd little face, to gauge the tone of a conversation

Yeah, sometimes I think I "hear" overtones that aren't really there (not with you though :wink: )

Quote:Unfortunately, it's really hard to test hypotheses like this- we can't just head to a lab and try it out The only 'tests' I can think of immediately is to evaluate further sculptures, etc. bearing the hypothesis in mind, then asking do they fit?

Perhaps, experimental archeology is another method to test ? Chain mail is the most form-fitting armor there is. I think I'll wear a tunic over my new chain mail and see if I'm noticeably armored. Not that it will prove anything, but I'm curious.

It looks like Tarbicus is already ahead of me. Big Grin

[Image: Roman_Soldiers-web.gif]
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Louvre \'praetorian\' tunic observation - by Theodosius the Great - 02-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman commander observation tower? Anonymous 7 3,415 08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  An Interesting Observation with Cabbages Nerva 21 4,878 06-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Last Post: philsidnell