Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Century Roman Ivory Ring-Buckle Belt Reconstruction
I am starting a new project, which is the reconstruction of a Dura Europos Ring-Buckle made from ivory, and two studs from the same material.

The first action was to choose the originals from the catalogue:

Then I took the measurements and ordered the raw ivory. As we all should know, ivory is a material which is under the Wahsington law for protection of endangered species. And, I have to add, that is very good. I like Elefants. My choice was to use high-quality mammoth ivory from Sibiria. Having found a vendor, I called him to order the material. The vendor told me, that new ivory is a) cheaper and b) of higher quality. I was slightly puzzled, and asked why. Apparently china buys almost all resources of high-quality mammoth-ivory from Sibiria, so almost nothing of it arrives in Europe. Hence a certified (CITES) piece of recent ivory is cheaper. Weird, isn't it?
It is also legal to buy ivory which was imported BEFORE the washington law was enacted. So I bit into the sour apple (<= German idiom Smile ) and ordered new Ivory. It arrived today and I am very content with the material. In the following I will keep you posted here on the progress of my work.

The Ring-Buckle:
[Image: DSC02041.jpg]

The Studs:
[Image: DSC02042.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
3rd Century Roman Ivory Ring-Buckle Belt Reconstruction - by caiusbeerquitius - 11-24-2005, 01:32 PM
More Ivory costs - by Gaius Octavius Drusus - 12-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tekije buckle 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 117 32,404 04-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  4th Century Roman Belt Color Antoninus05 9 4,780 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Damien Deryckère
  3rd century Roman soldier reconstruction in Aalen panairjdde 5 3,408 11-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser