Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loincloth/kilt (?) Pattern
Avete, and thanks to David for the plug! Here's the text included with the above photo, as well as a few others:

This Gladiator subligacum was designed by Linda Satorius, based off of multiple depictions. I hand-sewed the thing out of white linen, which I later dyed woad blue.

In the right photo, Pulcher/Tauros is shown standing above it as it would be put on the body: basically, you'd step over it, lining the narrow portion up with your crotch, then pull the front and back up snugly (much easier to do with a second person). The front and back will extend up to your neck. A second person then wraps a cloth belt around your waist (NOT your hips!), somewhat above where the naval is. Once that's tied, you then drop the front and back over the cloth belt (could be leather), which results in a drape over the front and uttocks areas. There should be enough material that the front and back flaps should overlap a bit... I overlap the front over the back, either way should be fine. Almost done: now you wrap a much larger (and perhaps more ornate) belt around your waist. If it's made properly, it should be leather (or Samnitesque brass), and it should be solid in front, securing in the back.

[Image: gladsubl.jpg]

Below are pics of how it looks in action (back in 2004). We both incorrectly have legionary belts on (all we had at the time), which are much too thin. The subli. I'm wearing (blue) is too long in back, while the one my pal Dio is wearing is too short in back. Nevertheless, these problems are easily rectified. Especially if the garment is too long: simply move the cloth under-belt up higher on the waist, and the flaps will raise up an equal amount. Or have someone cut it to your particular taste once you have it on. And there are shots of gladiators with the back flap almost non-existent, as seen here.
[Image: gladsubl2a.jpg]

Another method is the so-called wrap, which would be worn with a modern underwear/Speedo of a similar color. This method I learned at the Collegium Gladiatorium, and it is now the method I prefer. This method may be less accurate historically, although even that is debateable (the Egyptians used them often), but certainly looks much closer to what's in evidence. Additionally, you don't have to worry about your genitles spilling out at an inappropriate time to horrify (or impress) the crowds, as you do with the other method. Apologies for the bad photo, had to take it in a mirror:
[Image: valeriusglad3.jpg]

However you make it, a key aspect is tha the come up above the naval, which feels awkward until you get used to it. It will require patience and multiple adjustments before it looks like you want it to. Still, it's well worth the effort, as gladiatorial combat in a tunica just isn't the same visually. Good luck!

Jim / Valerius

Messages In This Thread
Loincloth/kilt (?) Pattern - by Gregory J. Liebau - 11-23-2005, 05:58 AM
Re: Loincloth/kilt (?) Pattern - by Gashford - 11-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Re: Loincloth/kilt (?) Pattern - by Tarbicus - 11-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Re: Loincloth/kilt (?) Pattern - by Gashford - 11-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Gladiator Undies - by Caballo - 11-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Re: Gladiator Undies - by Anonymous - 11-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Re: Loincloth/kilt (?) Pattern - by Lucia - 12-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Re: Loincloth/kilt (?) Pattern - by Anonymous - 12-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Subligaculum - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 02-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Re: Loincloth/kilt (?) Pattern - by M. Demetrius - 06-28-2006, 03:12 PM