Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELLENES (Greeks) & ELLAS Origins
Aristotle in Meteorologica said that in Dodona lived SELLOI or ELLOI (Meteorologics 352b).
There was an area called GRAEKIA hence they are referred as GRAIKOI
Claudius Ptolemy the Astronomer considered the triangle between Dion, Dodona, Delfi as the cradle of HELLAS (Greece)
HESIOD in Theogony wrote that Pandora from her love with Zeus gave birth to the brave GRAEKOS.
Parian chronicle states that DEYKALION who survived the cataclysm had a son called ELLINAS (HELLIN)
XENOPHANES from Colophon considers HELLENES (Greeks) those who speak the HELLENIC (Greek) language. Those from Sicily to Crimea then at this time.
Westerners use the name Greeks because colonists from GREA of Beotia made colony near Rome. The later Roman influence brought this name to others. Something similar with the Germans who call themselves Deutch.
The antiquity of the term is a source of debate if you use only classical writers
Aeschylus (Persians) ITE PAIDES ELLINON – Salamis 480 B.C. but the concept is definitely earlier.
Herodotus (Histories) Before the battle of Platea, Archelaos king of Macedonia gave to the Spartans the Persian plans saying “ELLIN KALOS EIMI, TO GENOS TO ARCHEONâ€Â

Messages In This Thread
HELLENES (Greeks) & ELLAS Origins - by hoplite14gr - 11-12-2005, 03:09 PM
& some names the persians used - by Hoplitesmores - 12-01-2005, 06:46 AM
my big fat greek wedding - by Goffredo - 12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Re: my big fat greek wedding - by Comerus Gallus - 12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Re: my big fat greek wedding - by hoplite14gr - 12-02-2005, 08:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homer and Hellenes Macedon 10 2,699 06-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Lyceum
  Hellenes supporting Persian king. Are they traitors? Anonymous 32 10,222 08-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias