Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the record : How many times did Rome sack Ctesiphon ?
Hi Gregg,

Yes, I'm still not sure what these modern authors base their claims on either. If not based on literary evidence then maybe there's archeological findings to suggest a sack or burning of the city at the time of Galerius' expedition.

But the original sources I've been able to read, I agree, seem ambiguous at best. I remember reading somewhere that some sources exaggerated Galerius' exploits by claiming that he reached India ! So, the sources themselves may not be all reliable.

Thanks for that quote from Constantine. Very interesting even if not authentic ; I've never encountered it before despite reading three books on the man.

Quote:The Sassanian Empire had only recently handed Rome some of the most humiliating defeats in her history, and I think there's little doubt the capture of the Sassanian capitol would have been an important enough event to have earned a mention, had it actually occurred.
You're probably right. Another, less probable, possiblity could be that it would seem anti-climatic to mention it since Galerius already thoroughly defeated and humiliated the Persian king by taking his treasure and concubines. That's a tough act to follow, one that surely can't be eclipsed by the capture of a poorly defended, empty capital. Who knows though...?

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: For the record : How many times did Rome sack Ctesiphon ? - by Theodosius the Great - 09-10-2008, 09:10 PM