Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...)
Quote:This sounds really cool.

Alaric features in one of my novel projects, too, but not as the main character. And I have those plotbunnies hopping around that want me to write more books about the Visigoths - like one about the end of the Visigoth Kingdom, but I know close to zero about the Arab culture, thus that would require lots of research.

Actually, the Arabs aren't *that* much important for the end of the Visigothic kindgom in Hispania: they (the Visigoths) managed all basically by themselves... The "arabians" (it's a bit more complex than that) only entered in the scene in the end, like the Byzantines entered years before them after being expulsed from Hispania (except, maybe, from Cartago Nova, depending on how you want to look at the matter...) The Arabs simply arrived, and found a land with virtually no defenses after the last battle they helped to win, and decided to stay. But they were invited, not invaded Europe. OK, they had taken over the Byzantines who had taken over the Vandals over Cartago, and once in Hispania, why not Gallia, and, and... but well... Humans are humans, aren't we? Byzantine Empire history, for the part it affects the Visigoths, is really weird from a military/territory point of view, anyway . . .
Quote:My second "series" takes place in Roman Britain.

Ah, Britania . . . Nice, but complex (I'm sure) . . . I guess I'm more . . . continental :-) ) Read Valerio Massimo Manfredi's _Last Legion_? Pretty entertaining and with a couple of fine points . . .

I don't know how long this project will take, I guess quite a lot, but I can do all the NaNoWri*s (Mos, Yes, Wes, Cens) I need to finish it... I can even write outside NaNo ;-) )

The important thing for me is (a) not losing the interest and (b) not getting enthusiastic about something else . . .

Quote:Hehe, have fun at NaNo. I tried it the last two years, but speed writing isn't my piece of cake. BTW, are you acquainted with the Forward Motion Writer's site? It's a great place to get all sort of tips from outlining to crit circles (provided you write in English) to publication. It has helped me a lot already.

I'm Excalibor over the NaNo fora, you can look me out... I didn't win, but it's fun, helpful, and motivating... :-) )

Regarding that FMW I didn't know about, I'll look it up (planning on becoming member of the Historical Novel Society, or a similar name...) but I don't usually write in English (except on a Star Trek RPG and one tale I wrote for the NanoBits project, about the Marathon battle, which I'm waiting for Editors' review... If it gets published, nice; if not, I'll probably work over it to send it to the Historical Novel Society 2005 award, which has been extended up to Aug 31...)
Quote:You can find out more about me and my writing by clicking on the little Website symbol below and by visiting my Blog.

cool, I'll have a look . . . Thanks for the help, and good luck!

salue,

--
David S. de Lis
Episkopos P. Lilius Frugius Simius Excalibor, :. V. S. C., Pontifex Maximus, Max Disc Eccl
David S. de Lis - my blog: <a class="postlink" href="http://praeter.blogspot.com/">http://praeter.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Historical Novel Society - by Sandra/Viventia - 05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Re: Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...) - by P. Lilius Frugius Simius - 05-27-2005, 08:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)? neutra 157 24,865 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  BBC The Rise and Fall of an Empire Kefka 24 7,002 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Kefka
  Military priests in Late Empire armies? P. Lilius Frugius Simius 11 2,541 02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach