Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trousers
Tacitus Germania Chapter 17

"They all wrap themselves in a cloak which is fastened with a clasp, or, if this is not forthcoming, with a thorn, leaving the rest of their persons bare. They pass whole days on the hearth by the fire. The wealthiest are distinguished by a dress which is not flowing, like that of the Sarmatæ and Parthi, but is tight, and exhibits each limb. They also wear the skins of wild beasts; the tribes on the Rhine and Danube in a careless fashion, those of the interior with more elegance, as not obtaining other clothing by commerce. These select certain animals, the hides of which they strip off and vary them with the spotted skins of beasts, the produce of the outer ocean, and of seas unknown to us. The women have the same dress as the men, except that they generally wrap themselves in linen garments, which they embroider with purple, and do not lengthen out the upper part of their clothing into sleeves. The upper and lower arm is thus bare, and the nearest part of the bosom is also exposed."

I've always found this interesting if for no other reason then it seems to reflect bronze age northern european male fashion to some extent, and that there is little other then large pieces of cloth surviving, it seems.

Once upon a time when I was a reinactor and based on this description I tried it out, wrapping myself in a large oblong piece of 2/2 twill that I had and fastening it over the left shoulder leaving the right bear, fastening it round the waist and some carbatinas... and nothing else.

For a few days thats all I wore and taking part in many combats using only spears and javalins and a small oval shield, it worked out fine...

Two or more layers worn as a "cloak" works well for the cold and rain.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Trousers - by Sean Manning - 12-07-2023, 06:22 PM
RE: Trousers - by Crispianus - 12-11-2023, 10:17 PM
RE: Trousers - by Sean Manning - 12-11-2023, 10:55 PM
RE: Trousers - by Crispianus - 12-12-2023, 12:36 AM
RE: Trousers - by Sean Manning - 12-12-2023, 01:20 AM
RE: Trousers - by Crispianus - 12-12-2023, 01:45 AM
RE: Trousers - by Crispianus - 12-12-2023, 11:02 AM
RE: Trousers - by Sean Manning - 12-12-2023, 10:33 PM
RE: Trousers - by Crispianus - 12-13-2023, 10:44 AM
RE: Trousers - by Sean Manning - 12-13-2023, 06:47 PM