Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield
Rolf Warming has a post on the handle of the Viking shield from Trelleborg:

Quote:The shield handle of the Viking Age shield excavated at Trelleborg (Denmark) has been a subject of much debate, partly because of general rarity of extant Viking Age shield handles and the surprising length of the handle. In this post, I offer a few clarifications and a summary of what is known about the handle thus far based on previous publications (Dobat 2013) as well as personal observations. ...

The handle measures 2.1 cm in width and c. 35 cm in length. Compared to other lines of evidence, the handle seems surprisingly short. Iconography, metal shield handle fittings as well as rare parallel finds where the wooden shield handle has been preserved – such as the shield finds from Gokstad (Norway) and Tira (Latvia) – indicate that handles were typically much longer in the Viking Age, spanning across most of the shield’s diameter. Shorter handles, however, seem to have been more common in preceding periods. The unusual length and the partly fragmented condition of the handle have led many to believe that the handle was originally longer, following the general trend outlined above. A longer handle would certainly have provided the shield with more structural strength.

Nonetheless, the original length of the wooden handle was in all probability not much greater than that given by its current condition. ...

As I said, my knowledge of Viking Age shields comes from photos and research ranging from children's books to Rolf Warming's article in Arms and Armour, I try not to disagree with experts unless I know the experts disagree (eg. about whether Carolingian shields were flat like surviving shields from the Baltic and Viking Britain or domed like in the paintings and sculptures). It seems like there is some dispute whether the Viking Age handles were half as wide as the shield (39 cm at Trelleborg, 49 cm at Gokstad), or fully as wide as the shields but that is still much longer than the 10-15 cm long handles in earlier periods!
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield - by Sean Manning - 06-21-2023, 10:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  La Tene shield materials? Dan D'Silva 20 8,922 02-07-2023, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Crispianus