Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Saka-izing" Greek Armour
Hi, everyone.

Although it has been said that the Saka utilized Greek (or at least Greek-styled) armour, I'd like to gain an understanding of this.

How would they approach this?
Two things I really enjoy are riding horses and shooting bows. I haven't done both at the same time, though. That said, I have shot a bow in a spolas. It felt weird. I told myself that this was due to inexperience and, possibly, the shape of the armour. Most of my experience with horse riding is without a saddle or stirrups, so that part is down (I will make a Saka saddle at some point). I haven't ridden in armour. If I decide to use Greek-style armour, I think I'll ask someone to just make and fit any metal pieces for me. Keeping in mind the horse-riding aspect. I'd like to get involved with mounted archery competitions and I think my approach might help promote the sport.

I am not opposed to shifting towards scale armour, however.

Anyways, I thought I'd start a thread in order to track my own progress. I have lots of leather sitting around, and plenty of linen as well. As for the spolas I mentioned, I did not make it. I bought it from Kult Of Athena a long time ago. It is made of thick leather, with linen glued to the outside of the tube. I wish I recalled who the craftsman was because it is very well made. I will make my own now, but I am considering modifying that one.

As a final note, I am open to any advice or criticism in this project. I simply don't have much experience or expertise on armour and how it should be made.

Good day, all.

Messages In This Thread
"Saka-izing" Greek Armour - by Blue Saka - 10-20-2021, 07:44 PM
RE: "Saka-izing" Greek Armour - by Sean Manning - 10-27-2021, 06:41 AM
RE: "Saka-izing" Greek Armour - by Dan Howard - 10-27-2021, 08:26 AM
RE: "Saka-izing" Greek Armour - by Feinman - 10-29-2021, 01:48 AM