Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention spans
I went through teacher training and do a bunch of school programs with museums and it really irks me when teachers don't prepare their students for presentations. It's great when the kids have studied what you are presenting and then you can really do some teaching. If they haven't, they you're basically doing the teachers' job for them. There's nothing more annoying than getting a bunch of blank looks when you ask basic questions on things you think the kids should have already studied.<br>
<br>
Anyway, just a pet peeve of mine.<br>
<br>
For school presentations, having as many hands-on things as possible is the best way to go. The kids will remember more information and they'll have longer attention spans as well. Drop spinning, like RIch mentioned, is a really great activity. If you don't have enough spindles, you can give each kid a small piece of wool roving and ask them to figure out how to make it into yarn and then do a spindle demonstration.<br>
<br>
For army stuff, you could have the kids line up in unit formations and do some drills. Kids love doing that. Have each bring a ruler to use as a gladius and do some sword drills (but clear it with a teacher first just to cya).<br>
<br>
I always ask teaachers what their students are studying or what do they want me to cover for my presentations. That way at least I have an idea of what the kids should know. It also is a gentle reminder to the teachers to cover the info with their kids before I come in. Most of the time this works. You can also check your state education department for the state curriculum standards. There should be standards for all subjects in all grades that you can look up. Some are better than others but it is another way to find out what the kids should know. Plus you can tell the teachers you are covering X,Y, and Z standards which they'll appreciate. That's a good way to plug your programs to schools to show how you fit into their curriculum.<br>
<br>
I'll check my stash of ed books and see if I can find more hands-on activities for this time period. I've been doing mainly colonial and War of 1812 these days so I need to go back in time a bit so to speak.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX

Messages In This Thread
Attention spans - by richard - 11-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Re: Attention spans - by Anonymous - 11-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Re: Attention spans - by Anonymous - 11-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Re: Attention spans - by richard - 11-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Junior Classical League, et al. - by Anonymous - 11-12-2003, 03:54 PM