Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naming Convention Of Roman Temples
Hi All,

Bit of an oddball question here, but does anyone know what the standard convention was for naming a temple in the ancient Roman world.

To provide some context, I'm currently righting a book and the second part of this book is set heavily in Eboracum, during the 4th century. (Modern day York in northern Britain)

A large feature of this city will be a Roman temple (in the time period Christian and Pagan religions apparently coexisted somewhat) however I've not been able to find a terribly huge amount of information on what temple's are thought to have existed in Eboracum. I'm even more confused as to what the everyday Roman citizens in the street would refer to these temple's as in terms of naming conventions, as I understand the 'Pantheon' in Rome is a modern name the Roman's may not have used.

Were Roman temple's named after the respected god they were dedicated to. (e.g. Temple of Jupiter, Temple of Mars etc) or was there naming to do with which people or organizations erected them. (If a temple was say build by the Legio IX Hispana, may it have been referred to as the Hispana?)

Any insights anyone would be kind enough to provide would be very much appreciated. Smile

Messages In This Thread
Naming Convention Of Roman Temples - by Tim Hare - 08-12-2020, 03:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman temples in 65AD Classics 0 578 06-12-2020, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Classics
  Consecration and inauguration of Roman temples Marcus Mummius 3 2,073 06-02-2013, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Epictetus