Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary
Edit: the Russian armourer will make me a replica of Aquileia's Imperial Gallic helmet. An exact replica of the helmet.

By the way: I've got Robinson's The armour of Imperial Rome; some have written that the helmet is a type E, some a type G, in my opinion it looks more to Mainz's type D. Even at the University I dislike typologies.
Corbridge type A and type B are somewhat contemporary, type B maybe a slightly later simplified, cheaper but overall better than the former one. I'm going for type B.

I guess for the 3rd quarter of the 1st century a single balteus militaris and a sword baldric would be a better choice, with probably a short-ish apron or maybe a longer one wrapped on a belt at least once. Apron plates shouldn't be enamaled as such a decoration became fashionable during the Trajanic period or even later than that.

As the sword probably the Mainz's would be that much obsolete and old fashioned, a few years later it would become so.

I haven't made up an idea on the pugio yet, still have to do some research.

Messages In This Thread
Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-01-2020, 11:29 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-03-2020, 08:20 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-09-2020, 08:11 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-13-2020, 07:36 AM