Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary
Hello,
I live near Aquileia, I hope most of you will know the city. Apparently archaeological works done during the the "60 found a Imperial Gallic type E, just search "Nota sugli elmi romani di Aquileia" by Claudio Maddaleni, it has been dated to 68/69 since the armies of Otho, Vitellius and then Vespasianus battled in Bedriacum, it's possibile that one of the many legionaries stationed here just "lost" his helmet.
So... I'd like to reconstruct the equipment of a legionary around this time: 3rd quarter of the 1st century but I just need some healthy discussion about my ideas, I've done a few researches but I still can't made up an idea about some topic. 
Starting from the helmet, ideally I would have someone to do the helmet from Aquileia, does anyone know "Helgi's True History Shop"? He seems to be quite good at  doing Roman helmets and armour, I might get in contact with him. But eventually, if he doesn't, he does indeed Imperial Gallic type B, type C and type J, I really like the first two altought they might be a bit too old fashioned by the time I've choosen, but wouldn't they? Type J could possibly be a good altought I believe the sloped eyebrows could possibly be a method to keep Dacian falx rather distant from the face.
Another topic I'd like to discuss is armour, basically we, let's be honest, all like segmentata even if probably it wasn't really that much widespread. By since anyway it's perfectly correct to wear one, I'm going for it. Kalkriese is surely quite old fashion by the time I'm aiming to, Corbridge would be a better option: what about type A and type B, I still can't made up an idea about a chronological order between the two, neither can some old dated published works. But I think that both of them could be an ideal armour to wear: I'm going for the "simplified" type B.
Now, let's start talking about gladius and pugios. As a terminus ante/post quem I think probably both Mainz and Pompei type gladius could be a good option, I'm going for Del Tin one since I live relatively near him and they make some really good arms, even if probably the Mainz would become to be a bit dated and old fashioned. Personally I find the Mainz gladius aestheticallymore pleasing. Pugio are somewhat difficolt to classify and anyway, to own of them truly well made would be a bit "pricy" at most, Del Tin is able to sell me a mid rib blade with plain tinned type A sheath. Plain sheath probably weren't that common, but could they be correct anyway?
The last question is about the balteus/cingulum militaris. Since I prefer to have quality over quantity, one good balteus is better than two not-so-good baltei. I understand that early and not so early too the roman legionary would have wore two belts: one set for the sword and the other for the pugio and somewhere and somehow during the 2nd half of the first century they started to wear their sword on a baldric and just one set of belt for the pugio. Altought the Herculaneum soldier wore his sword on his belt and not on a baldric. Then, why lot of reenactor do just wear one set and a baldric even when they apparently try to do the early principate? Would I be correct if I wore my sword on a baldric and just one set of belt? I understand I would be correct, but again published studies sometimes are inconsistent even inside their own (see Roman military clothing (1) by Sumner), there's an Augustean age legionary with baldric and single belt apparently from the German's campaigns.
I hope I expressed myself and that you can understand my various and numerous questions. Have a nice "quarantined" day!

Messages In This Thread
Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-01-2020, 11:29 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-03-2020, 08:20 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-09-2020, 08:11 AM
RE: Help! 3rd quarter 1st century Legionary - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 04-13-2020, 07:36 AM