Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek linen armour - what did it look like?
Wink 
First off, I am sorry for bringing this everdiscussed topic up yet again, however the last discussions on it I saw were a few years ago and I am hoping more consensus has been reached, or perhaps more evidence found.

I will preface this by saying that the ancient greek or roman world is not my area of focus, and so I know rather little about it (I am mainly interested in the middle ages) What I do know I have picked up from people who research it - like here.

So from what I understand, the 'linothorax' (yes I know it is a modern derivative) is heavily disputed. Something it doesn't seem to be is the classic tube and yolk style of armour that is depicted in a lot of greek art.

My question is threefold. One  - did the greeks make widespread use of linen armour in any period of history? Two - is there any findings of any linen armour from greece? And three - is it a reasonable assumption to make that the 'linothorakes' may be constructed in a gambeson-like manner, meaning layered and quilted?
"No, vikings didn't wear any goddamn gambesons" - Me, explaining the same thing for the hundredth time

- Ali Zufer

Messages In This Thread
Greek linen armour - what did it look like? - by Draugr the Greedy - 12-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour Sean Manning 53 5,118 10-29-2021, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Greek Helmet/ armour database Paullus Scipio 161 140,865 12-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Adventurous Artisan
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,694 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale