• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Identification and Location
(08-31-2019, 04:38 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Ha found it Smile
eprints.nbu.bg/140/1/the_spatha_[b]from_Durostorum[/b].pdf 
Knew it was in a book, there are plenty drawings using it but no reference Sad
Osprey Roman Legionary 284-337 AD
Hope this helps you Patrick
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin

Good find! gives a lot of details of A655-2 with measurements given for the components for the sword and scabbard in note 2 from that article.

Any how judging by whats included of the find in Miks, the Silista Museum Pic would appear to be many of the main objects mentioned, though sword A655-1 is missing as well as the shield boss, spearheads etc.
As previously mentioned the date would not be earlier then 276 AD based on the Coin of Probus found in the grave, which looks like that of a high status individual with many richly decorated items.

I still think the sword in Pointers pic is A655-1 from Miks, the desciption suggests a badly damaged blade with an "Angelnietkopf" which I take to mean a bar in this case, through which the tang is rivetted.

Is there a drawing in Miks of A655-1 as from the description I think that is the one.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Sword Identification and Location - by Pointer - 08-30-2019, 02:58 AM
RE: Sword Identification and Location - by Crispianus - 09-01-2019, 09:42 AM