Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of 'old' equipment for later dates
Thanks for your toughts so far! It's nice to see that so many people are willing to shed their light on questions from complete strangers so willingly.

And perhaps to anwser a part of my own question. I recently talked to a smith who makes blades and such. I asked him the same question regarding Mainz swords at later dates. He told me that while it could be possible, there is a time limit to it. Because the blade could only be sharpend so many times before it's no longer usable/suitable. He talked about two enlistment terms (each term being 25 years.) So 50 years after the forging of the sword a replacement should be sought. And I personally don't know, but it seems out of place to forge a new Mainz sword during a time where Pompei swords are already being mass produced. But as a I said, I don't know myself for sure. Since it seems equally out of place that there would be a hard cuttof date for the cessation of making Mainz swords. It's not like smiths went: "Well boys it's 50 AD let's all switch to this new design!" I believe mr Ross when he said that "equipment tended to change relatively slowly". His statement seems to make sense to me, considering the evidence of the multiple use helmet and multiple century mail use.

Once again, thank you all for the information so far.

With kind regards,

cannonfodder90

Messages In This Thread
RE: Use of 'old' equipment for later dates - by cannonfodder90 - 08-14-2019, 10:37 AM