Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of 'old' equipment for later dates
My fellow Roman history buffs,

Let me begin by saying that this is my first post on this forum. Until now I've managed to find all the answers I need on my own. A testament to the truly great wealth of knowledge that you all have gathered and posted over the years. But as I said, now I'm stumped. My google skills have failed me.

My question is regarding the use of 'old' equipment for later dates. I was wondering, since I heard that sometimes equipment was bought second hand from veterans, or that it was passed down from father to sons, can 'old' equipment be used for the later dates?

For example, can a simple legionary from the late 70's AD use a Mainz type sword? Or is that type of sword only acceptable for officers? What if the dad was a centurion who passed his Mainz gladius to his son? Would that be plausible?

The same goes of course for other equipment like the helmet. Wouldn't it be possible/plausible for a simple legionary, who doesn't have that much to spend, to buy a second third fourth hand me down Coolus helmet?

And here's the kicker regarding my questions. What are the sources for this? Is there a grave site from a simple legionary found among other legionaries with equipment from later dates?

I hope you all can help and enlighten me.

With kind regards,

cannonfodder90

Messages In This Thread
Use of 'old' equipment for later dates - by cannonfodder90 - 08-04-2019, 11:39 PM