Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian)
(07-15-2019, 07:45 PM)Titius Vettidius Cladus Wrote:
Hello,

I need some help with my soft kit AKA a civilian.

The campagi they sell is the correct one.  http://www.medievaldesign.com/restricted/immagini

The shoes in the link above should be ok though this specific form is almost certainly on its way out by this time, the others are too early or too low class for a civil servant of the early 4th as I think you should be wairing "Calcei" (shoes with seperate uppers and soles) rather then "Carbatinas" (one piece) many of the surviving examples of these later shoes are in sizes worn by women and children and this should be taken in to account when making reconstructions, in other words you cant just enlarge all the details, very few complete examples are actually in adult male sizes.

You should note that these would be classed as "Ramshaws" though quite a bit different from the earlier pointed toe example from Zwammerdam (also Ramshaws) shown in the Dura costume but without its toecap.

I think generally the time scales given by MD are too broad for the roman footware..

An example of a reconstruction of a suitable shoe dated to the early/mid 4th century from Gloucester in a womens/childs size:

similar lower examples exist.

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Crispianus - 07-20-2019, 10:15 AM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-22-2019, 02:15 PM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-25-2019, 01:08 PM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-29-2019, 05:02 PM