Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Marching camp construction
MonsGraupius
(01-11-2019, 10:32 AM)Stug50 Wrote: Again, very interesting. A small unit of men probably wouldn’t have the need to build fortifications, they wouldn’t need to because they could move swiftly if threatened, it kind of makes sense why for the most part only large camps are found, a large force is unable to hide and so defences are needed, also a large force is likely to be assaulted by an enemy force of equal size or perhaps even larger. 
Skirmish groups or reconnaissance units will travel lightly and if they need to set camp for a while they have the luxury of choosing a good defensive position.

When I've seen very small camps, I've always assumed it was a bunch of quintessential Roman soldiers marching with shields. But speaking to you, I realised that - as you say, they travel lightly and unlike the the typical Roman infantry who are slow and so had to stand fast and confront the enemy - these small camps, which I think shows they are in enemy territory, had to have speed on their side so they can run away from trouble.

But if you are taking equipment to dig fortifications - you're carrying a lot of equipment which makes you slow - so they have got to be mounted.

Addendum
I spent the day thinking about this and the more I thought about it, the less likely my original model started looking (which I had already removed from previous comment above). I like your idea of lookouts and scouts. Great question, it's really making me think. (I now have a page headed "Rethink")

Given that one of the purposes of marching camps was it’s use as a staging area it wouldn’t make any sense for a small scouting unit to expend the effort to build something similar. I’ve been in the army myself and when we operated at night, we would take minimal equipment, we wouldn’t want to leave any visible sign that we had been in the area. No fires, no lights and more often than not, we’d use ground sheets to make temporary shelters, we used the ground sheets to protect us from wind and rain    So that we could get a few moments rest. If we wanted to eat, we ate cold food and it was important that our food was odourless. I’m pretty sure that the same principles would have applied to those tasked with a similar job in the Roman army. I’m guessing that’s why we don’t find evidence of anything other than the large marching camps.

MonsGraupius
(01-11-2019, 10:32 AM)Stug50 Wrote: Again, very interesting. A small unit of men probably wouldn’t have the need to build fortifications, they wouldn’t need to because they could move swiftly if threatened, it kind of makes sense why for the most part only large camps are found, a large force is unable to hide and so defences are needed, also a large force is likely to be assaulted by an enemy force of equal size or perhaps even larger. 
Skirmish groups or reconnaissance units will travel lightly and if they need to set camp for a while they have the luxury of choosing a good defensive position.

When I've seen very small camps, I've always assumed it was a bunch of quintessential Roman soldiers marching with shields. But speaking to you, I realised that - as you say, they travel lightly and unlike the the typical Roman infantry who are slow and so had to stand fast and confront the enemy - these small camps, which I think shows they are in enemy territory, had to have speed on their side so they can run away from trouble.

But if you are taking equipment to dig fortifications - you're carrying a lot of equipment which makes you slow - so they have got to be mounted.

Addendum
I spent the day thinking about this and the more I thought about it, the less likely my original model started looking (which I had already removed from previous comment above). I like your idea of lookouts and scouts. Great question, it's really making me think. (I now have a page headed "Rethink")

Given that one of the purposes of marching camps was it’s use as a staging area it wouldn’t make any sense for a small scouting unit to expend the effort to build something similar. I’ve been in the army myself and when we operated at night, we would take minimal equipment, we wouldn’t want to leave any visible sign that we had been in the area. No fires, no lights and more often than not, we’d use ground sheets to make temporary shelters, we used the ground sheets to protect us from wind and rain    So that we could get a few moments rest. If we wanted to eat, we ate cold food and it was important that our food was odourless. I’m pretty sure that the same principles would have applied to those tasked with a similar job in the Roman army. I’m guessing that’s why we don’t find evidence of anything other than the large marching camps.
Dave..Stug50

Messages In This Thread
Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-09-2019, 11:27 AM
RE: Marching camp construction - by MonsGraupius - 01-09-2019, 04:25 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by agrimensor - 01-10-2019, 08:21 AM
RE: Marching camp construction - by MonsGraupius - 01-10-2019, 01:36 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-10-2019, 04:00 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by MonsGraupius - 01-10-2019, 09:00 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by MonsGraupius - 01-10-2019, 10:24 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM
RE: Marching camp construction - by MonsGraupius - 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-11-2019, 10:50 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by MonsGraupius - 01-11-2019, 11:22 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-12-2019, 01:01 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by MonsGraupius - 01-13-2019, 12:01 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-13-2019, 01:25 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by MonsGraupius - 01-13-2019, 06:00 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-13-2019, 07:01 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Nathan Ross - 01-13-2019, 07:45 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Steve Kaye - 01-15-2019, 01:49 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Stug50 - 01-15-2019, 09:39 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Mark Hygate - 01-15-2019, 08:02 PM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Mark Hygate - 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM
RE: Marching camp construction - by Damian Roe - 03-08-2019, 04:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late-roman marching/temporary Camp at Gellep Simplex 1 105 12-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Another marching camp excavating at Friedberg/Hassia(D) Simplex 5 3,209 07-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Glenmailen Roman Marching Camp Site, NE Scotland Roman Military History is 4 Me 1 1,508 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me