Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could brothers or close kin join the same contuburnium?
Roger - in which case, I would certainly find it reasonable that two brothers could turn up to the same legion recruitment fair/tent/'office' at the same time, be assessed and then join up together.

However, whilst it could certainly depend on circumstance and how new recruits are subsequently assigned to contubernia (where, personally I would expect it to meet the current need of vacancies, but also mix of experience); then I would suggest it's unlikely they would be assigned to the same century, let alone contubernium.

I am minded to note that separation by class in school is normally done for twins (whether or not being identical) and I am particularly thinking of the rigorous discipline needed - let alone what we are often given to understand about its particular harshness in the legions.  Posting two 'brothers', even 'friends' together could easily undermine that (given they are expected to band together and then resist).  A simple example of 'divide and conquer' really...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Could brothers or close kin join the same contuburnium? - by Mark Hygate - 01-15-2019, 11:34 AM