Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duty Roster for a Century in Legio III
(11-22-2018, 07:04 PM)Stug50 Wrote: the duty roster for a Century in Legio III

Do you mean RMR 9, for Legio III Cyrenaica in Egypt, c.AD90-97? This roster is given in full (with suggested expansions) near the bottom of this page here.

I don't think anyone really knows what 'boots' means! One entry is for 'Helius's boots' (expanded from cal hel, apparently) - Helius seems to be a centurion, judging by some of the other entries. Interestingly, Aemilius Valens has the duty 'batman to Helius' - I'd like to know what word or abbreviation is translated as 'batman'! But this suggests that 'boots' was not, as some have suggested, a sort of servant for a superior officer.

I was wondering the other day why there have been so many finds of Roman boots and shoes at Vindolanda - but then considered that each man might get through a pair a year, and with c.1000 men or so that's a lot of old pairs... So the roster entries might just mean that these men were given the task of repairing old or damaged caligae, or perhaps making new ones - think of all those hobnails that needed hammering into place!
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duty Roster for a Century in Legio III - by Nathan Ross - 11-22-2018, 08:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legio III Italica pars inferior, Castra Regina, 5th Century Restitvtvs 35 11,518 06-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Severinus
  Leg. III Cyrenaica Duty Roster A_Volpe 2 1,658 02-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe