Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How important was individual skill in formation fighting?
wrangle29r wrote: "the side whose phalanx holds together longest will wins" makes it sound as though its pointless to learn how to aim at a target when throwing javelins at a mass of enemies.

As a hunter I was taught to never aim at the flock/herd. Instead I should pick out an individual target because it sharpens your focus and increases the likelihood of hitting something. Seems that that would be true whether your target is a ring-necked pheasant or a torc-necked peasant.

Smart soldiers prepare for contingencies. When the shield wall breaks down, it's helpful to the soldier and to the legion that the individual soldiers can defend themselves ably.

I was taught by the US Army how to effectively engage the enemy at distances of hundreds of yards. I was also taught how to fight man-to-man. Being prepared isn't just for the Boy Scouts.

The Romans sometimes had units comprised of gladiators in their battle lines. I bet they utilized standard shieldwall tactics whenever they could. I wonder if there is any evidence for how those gladiator/soldiers performed in battle.

Bruce

Messages In This Thread
RE: How important was individual skill in formation fighting? - by Pompeius Major - 10-26-2018, 02:49 PM
RE: How important was individual skill in formation fighting? - by Brucicus - 12-11-2018, 02:28 PM