Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions
Hi,

I would appreciate your help with making a lorica squamata for my seven year old son. After reading all the threads about this type of armor I have almost all the information I need. However I am not sure about a few things because the size of the armor will be much smaller than the one for a grown up man. Therefore I would be glad if you could help me with clarifying the following points:

1. The scale arrangement around the neck:
I think I will go up until the top of the shoulder with horizontal lines of scales. The neck opening will be similar to the one for a grown up man since my son’s head circumference is 53cm / 20.9”. The rest of the shirt however will be much smaller. Therefore I think the proportion of the curved scale part to the straight scale part would not look well. (I will buy loose scales from daniyal steel crafts. The size is 15 x 25mm).

2. The neck opening:
I would like to avoid shoulder pads since the double layer of scales would make the armor heavier. Therefore I thought that I will make just a slit in front which can be closed with a leather strap. Maybe somebody can think of a better option.

3. Side closure
I will leave the left side of the shirt open and make a lacing to close it. Here I am not sure yet whether I should go for holes or for double hoops with ties. For me it is again the sizing problem and how it looks in the end. I would prefer the double hoops method. However I fear that they are too large compared to the shirt. In contrary the holes would be barely noticeable I hope.

4. Leather edging method
I would like to use the interwoven leather stitching method form the Carpow finds. But I am not sure if it will be too bulky. The other option would be to use the “normal” stitching method.

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards,
Iskierka

Messages In This Thread
Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions - by Iskierka - 09-06-2018, 05:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to build a lorica squamata munazio planco 12 5,886 11-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata cannonfodder90 3 1,299 02-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  What brass type for making my own squamata? cannonfodder90 4 1,154 11-30-2019, 03:09 PM
Last Post: cannonfodder90