Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall
(09-15-2018, 08:58 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: Nennius is a much more credible source than most others.

I'm sure very few historians would agree, but there we go!...

(09-15-2018, 08:58 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: making up stories that Saint Patrick couldn't be born in Strathclyde when they knew that was what the earliest lives said.

The earliest lives don't say anything about where he was born. We have to wait half a millenium before somebody comes up with the idea that he was from Strathclyde.

(09-15-2018, 08:58 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: ...clear historical evidence for Strathclyde... The earliest evidence we have is for Strathclyde... The historical evidence that says Patrick was born in Strathclyde.

You keep saying this.

One note by an anonymous medieval scholiast writing 500 years after the fact does not really constitute 'clear evidence', but I can see you're not going to be persuaded out of it!

(09-15-2018, 08:58 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: Robinson shows coins from the 1st to the 4th century with an INCREASING number in Strathclyde.

Here's the table from the 1952 paper by Anne S Robertson (not Robinson) that you've mentioned. As you can see, it does not show increasing numbers of coins after the 2nd century in Strathclyde or anywhere else. There are a few stray finds of single coins from later centuries, and almost none from the wall area.

(09-15-2018, 08:58 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: So you admit persecution, you admit Christians had missionaries, you admit there were inter sect disputes, you admit Christians may be traders who came to Strathclyde. Basically you admit it is perfectly possible Patrick was born in Strathclyde

Where are you getting all this?

There certainly was a persecution in AD303-5, quite a famous one. Our sources from the period say that Constantius, who controlled Britain at the time, enforced it very lightly and did not kill anybody.

I don't think I said anything about missionaries or Christian traders or whatever. I did say that the Pelagian dispute was contemporaneous with Patrick, so could not have influenced his family background. This scenario you have developed about runaway Christian communities and so on is entirely imaginary. We have no idea who was living in the Strathclyde region in the 5th century.

It's possible that Patrick was from Strathclyde. Not very likely though. There must be some reason why some medieval scholars seemed to believe that was his home (although the fact of it being a powerful native British Christian kingdom in the medieval period probably had a lot to do with it!).
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall - by Nathan Ross - 09-15-2018, 10:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antonine Wall Eleatic Guest 2 1,000 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 961 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Garisons of the Antonine Wall Jordanicus 1 1,197 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell