Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'Greek' Attic Helmet; a no-show in history?
Great questions.

It has been my understanding that both the term "Chalcidean helmet" and "Attic helmet" are modern terms based on the pottery upon which the helmets are usually depicted.  We know that the Greeks referred to "Corinthian helmets," "Boeotian helmets," and "Pilos helmets," but the others are modern conventions.

If the two are lumped together and used to refer to lighter helmets with hinged cheek pieces, cut outs for ears, and wider front openings to allow for greater field of view, then I think the evidence is convincing for their use by Greek infantry, at least during the middle and late fifth century.   For example, the mural of the Battle of Marathon on the painted Stoa almost exclusively depicts Attic/Chalcidean helmets for the Greeks.  In the bottom right, there is a group of hoplites using "Boeotian shields" and wearing Pilos helmets or caps, but the rest of the Greeks are wearing something approximating an Attic or Chalcidean helmet.

Here's a link to a reconstruction of mural:  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...Robert.jpg

If your question is whether the Attic/Chalidean helmets were ever used by Greek infantry on mainland Greece, the primary source material of contemporary artistic representations is pretty convincing that they were.  But, like you suggest, it is odd that we haven't found more of them in the archaeological remains when they are so common in art.

If your question is whether excavations have ever unearthed an "attic" helmet in mainland Greece, I'm not sure.  If we searched the online collections of the major museums around the world where Greek helmets might be found, we could perhaps find a few.  

The British Museum lists this helmet has perhaps having been found in Attica: http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/co...eek&page=1

Great question though.  I've also been curious as to when and where the "Thracian" helmet developed.  By this, I mean an "Attic" helmet with an enlarged brim over the eyes to protect the face from blows and shield the eyes from the sun.

If you find any other "Attic" helmets excavated in mainland Greece, please post that information here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 'Greek' Attic Helmet; a no-show in history? - by Akontist - 07-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any additional information on the Attic helmet found in Athens? Corvus 0 299 02-13-2022, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Show us your Greek impression Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs 9 3,007 11-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Anonymous
  The most decisive battle for Greek history Anonymous 13 6,173 05-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus