Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wielding a sarissa overarm
Hi everyone Smile,

I"m currently doing research into the Macedonian phalanx for a future publication. After reading around the subject, I've formulated the working hypothesis that the Macedonian phalanx did form up in close order (18" per file) with shields overlapping as stated by Polybios and the manuals, and were able to present sarissas in this compact configuration, but only if the sarissas were wielded overarm: the right arm, bent close to the shoulder, was the fulcrum for the sarissa's centre of gravity (requiring little muscle power to maintain), whilst the left arm, bracing the shield against a shoulder strap, aimed the sarissa over the shoulders of the men in front. In this position the shields could overlap as much as necessary without getting in the way of the sarissas.

The front rank would present sarissas underarm as this was a stabler hold for resisting cavalry and enabled the file leaders to better cover themselves with their shields (the second rank going back didn't need to worry about their shields so much, just making sure they didn't block their line of sight).

In this position the phalangite is able to use his sarissa as a hoplite uses his dory: the left hand stays still whilst the right hand propels the shaft forwards in strikes up to three feet in length, then draws it back and balances it on the right arm's fulcrum again. The left hand is used merely to aim the sarissa for the next strike.

My question is are there any re-enactors out there who have tried this or are willing to try it and tell me if it actually works? The sarissa weighs between 5 and 6kg so I can't see any theoretical difficulties, but it's always very useful to know if any hidden problems emerge from a practical tryout. Ta!

Messages In This Thread
Wielding a sarissa overarm - by Justin Swanton - 04-10-2018, 05:16 PM
RE: Wielding a sarissa overarm - by Dan Howard - 04-11-2018, 12:03 AM
RE: Wielding a sarissa overarm - by Crispianus - 04-11-2018, 05:26 AM
RE: Wielding a sarissa overarm - by Dave G - 04-11-2018, 08:41 AM