Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody know further examples like this?
Hello, together with some literature and satellite Pictures i have found an Area of Minimum 5 roman Fortresses at one place. During my following researches i found also some old maps which marks this (main)Place as "Roman ruins" The main Fortress of 150x150m was surrounded by numerous buildings on all sides and a second much larger wall (400x200m) delimited some of this buildings. The area is a little bit elevated above the surrounding plain, on which an important trade route took course. Nearby (30-70km), we can find many inscriptions of several Roman legions, between 0 CE and the 3rd Century. I think it is important to tell,that there are also 4 smaller Fortresses in a circumfence of 2 kms of the Main Place.

Is there anybody who knows why the Romans built several fortresses at one place. ? Are there further examples for such?

The smaller fortresses are mainly on one line positioned, and the old maps shows additional Roman ruins in short distances to the north and south. The fortresses looks like auxiliary Fortresses or marching camps, in Front of some Gateways you can see an additional "Titulum" as it is described from hygenus gromaticus.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Does anybody know further examples like this? - by jonas2017-1 - 02-05-2018, 11:26 AM