Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Google Earth stuff
Well, that was an interesting set of responses - thank you. John has confirmed what I thought is the problem ..... 

It seems that none of you are using Google Earth (GE) and that, consequentially, your PCs do not recognise kml or kmz files. This is why you get the "Adobe Acrobat could not read ... " message. Just to be clear, Adobe Acrobat has nothing to do with the kml or kmz files - the message is spurious.

So, you need to download Google Earth, the Pro client version (not the browser version), and then load the kml and kmz files. GE is a safe product, no need to be concerned about security. And, if you've not used it before, you are in for a treat.

The following instructions are for a Windows PC (version 7 or greater).

1) Agree to and download the GE software from https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html

2) Install GE by clicking on the downloaded file from 1 and take all the defaults. It is straightforward and GE should start immediately (if not, double click the desktop icon).

3) Now to 'open' and view my kml and kmz files:

a) Within GE, select 'FILE', select 'OPEN'; a directory browser opens; migrate to wherever you have stored my files; click on them to select and click 'Open'. 
b) GE will load and display the data in the files as overlays to the aerial photography.

That's it! I'll leave you to explore further ... it's simple and powerful.

By the way, as this is PC related and not about Boudica, I suggest you contact me via my email address on my website (left column at bottom).

Messages In This Thread
[split] Google Earth stuff - by Steve Kaye - 01-22-2018, 09:15 AM
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 01-22-2018, 12:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What\'s this on Google Earth? ValentinianVictrix 4 1,839 08-01-2013, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Epictetus
  Stonehenge Google Earth programme Caballo 2 1,643 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Rubico
  Google Earth bookmarks Rome Jona Lendering 3 1,654 09-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Last Post: Epictetus