Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classical Walking-Sticks Help
(01-25-2018, 12:23 AM)Clavdivs Wrote: Most useful indeed - regrettably I cannot carve wood but it so happens that the husband of my best friend (a dear lady and a fellow invalid -- we meet up to ''talk shop'') is a fine carpenter and carver so the credit will be his. I have been ''best guessing'' and have settled on a dark wooden stick (as near to sham-ebony as possible), tall, with a carved papyriform head and brass, copper or NuGold fittings -- a collar below the head, one in the middle and a long ferrule, to be treated as an Egyptian ''antique''. Another excuse to discuss the changes in Roman society, links with the East (e.g. the Iseum at Pompeii is a fascinating compound of Roman and Aegyptian elements) and particularly the paradox of increasing quasi-Oriental luxury in the Imperial period and also reverence for the Republican past. I would actually be fascinated to see someone doing an extremely vulgar impression of the ''nouveau riche'', the jumped up freedman, the Trimalchio, ignorant, boastful ruddy-faced and weighed down with ''bling'', clad in a gaudy synthesis.

I shall certainly post pictures as I put together a Roman costume.

Sounds splendid!  Look forward to seeing pictures.

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 

Messages In This Thread
Classical Walking-Sticks Help - by Clavdivs - 01-24-2018, 06:51 PM
RE: Classical Walking-Sticks Help - by Clavdivs - 01-25-2018, 12:23 AM
RE: Classical Walking-Sticks Help - by Feinman - 01-25-2018, 02:44 AM
RE: Classical Walking-Sticks Help - by Clavdivs - 01-25-2018, 01:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spongia toilet sticks. pvblivs cordvs 21 6,684 04-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Last Post: pvblivs cordvs
  collyrium sticks Anonymous 1 2,408 01-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Anonymous