Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why ancient Romans and Italians were so good at warfare, and modern Italians are not
I think I understand what he is trying to say here.

It is a perception issue here.  If you take the modern Italian military back in time and taught them the ancient Roman way of fighting, man for man they would be as good as any Legion.

The answer to your question is actually quite simple in basic concept: The ancient Italians had the resources, economy, political and logistical flexibility, and manpower to be successful in wars of conquest and expansion. The modern Italian state does not.  It has little to do with the quality of its military men (or women for that matter.)

In modern war, you can't take a ragtag group of people, give them weapons, tell them to go conquer somewhere and expect them to have much success.  In Roman times that was a thing that could, and did, happen. Marius did it. Germanicus did so in the Illyrian Revolt with a bunch of freed slaves.. The First Adiutrix was formed from freedmen sailors.

To wage war today, you need oil, industry and resources to produce tanks, aircraft, warships, bullets, etc, high tech communications, a robust logistical network to get it anywhere in the world in hours, a competent intelligence network, and on, and on, and on...

Not to say it was easy in ancient times, but there were far fewer factors to consider when taking an army to war.  If you asked Julius Caesar to invade Britain now with a modern military, he would probably fall down and curl into the fetal position!

World politics are also very different today, and wars of conquest are looked down upon.  Push too hard with your conquest and you suddenly have a coalition a of nations coming to get you. in ancient times, things were more flexible and concerns were more local. The Roman emperors knew little of the Han dynasty and cared even less about its politics. It was a world away.  Now, with communication, travel, and trade being what they are, everyone has a vested interest in trying to work through their problems in ways other than war, for the most part.

Anyway, hope this gets my point across a little at least. People have written volumes on these topics, so my little post can only do so much. Big Grin
Daniel DeVargas

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why ancient Romans and Italians were so good at warfare, and modern Italians are not - by Shield And Spear Art - 06-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient and modern libraries richsc 0 222 12-28-2021, 03:38 PM
Last Post: richsc
  ancient and modern rationalism eugene 0 1,113 04-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Last Post: eugene
  Ancient Rome Not Good For Your Diet ...? Narukami 3 2,183 04-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering