Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robin Hood's Roman Ancestors ?
Regarding hooded cloaks, I was reading a little today and have some information, and a little vignette of a small domestic mishap, on the subject of hoods in the time of the poet Martial that might interest the reader (M. Valerius Martialis, c. 38 C.E. - 104 C.E.)

There is a plate in the ubiquitous Wilson, my standard reference for Roman clothing, showing the LACERNA or rain-cloak worn with the separate CVCVLLVS (which was indeed a separate garment, consisting of what we would call a shoulder-cape and hood, not an addendum to the LACERNA)

The reason I bring up Martial is on account of Epigram No. 139 of Book Fourteen, on a Liburnian hood, which runs:

ivngere nescisti nobis, o stvlte, lacernas:
indveras albvs, exve callainas

Or, in the translation of Walter C.A. Kerr

You have not known, o foolish fellow, how to match your mantle with me:
You put it on white, now take it off green.

Callainas comes from callais, a stone which Pliny describes as sea-green. Evidently [for by a literary conceit, the Liburnian hood is speaking] the rain has caused the dyed hood to run and stain the mantle -- had he known better, he would have ''matched [his] mantle with [his hood]'' and avoided this disaster. The point of this is twofold -- first, that mantle and hood are at least sometimes separate garments, and second the intrinsic value of a little headache of daily life in the Rome of Domitian, incisively recorded and so ''preserved'' as it were in aspic for remote posterity.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uDS3qPl...sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19hNWEpQ...sp=sharing

Liburnia is the Illyrian coast.
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''
''And then, I promise you, you'll dream a different story altogether''

From ''I, Claudius'', by J. Pulman after R. Graves.

Messages In This Thread
Robin Hood's Roman Ancestors ? - by Simplex - 01-06-2018, 07:33 PM
RE: Robin Hood's Roman Ancestors ? - by Lothia - 01-07-2018, 03:28 PM
RE: Robin Hood's Roman Ancestors ? - by Simplex - 01-07-2018, 03:50 PM
RE: Robin Hood's Roman Ancestors ? - by Clavdivs - 01-07-2018, 06:50 PM
RE: Robin Hood's Roman Ancestors ? - by Clavdivs - 01-08-2018, 06:30 PM