Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius
(02-18-2018, 05:15 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: By this time belts probably had no apron, but probably had a metal terminal on the strap end as in the find from Lyon dated 197 AD.

From Roman Military Equipment. M Bishop, C Coulston
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin

Thanks. So the belt would look like that, but the baldric would have been thin and the sword placed on the legionnaire’s right?  The column of Marcus Aurelius shows the soldiers with thin baldric and sword on their right. I did notice there were no aprons however.  

I wonder where Bishop gets the rectangular bit from, as the shields on the column of Marcus Aurelius are almost all cyldrical ovals. 

He also seems to suggest the Italic H was more during the reign of Commodus, and the Italic G covered the Marcus Aurelius period, but that seems counterintuitive, since one would expect such an evolutionary design improvement (which I think the H is over the G, from a protection perspective) to happen during the constant warfare period that marks the reign of Marcus Aurelius.
Russ 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Legionnaire Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius - by Valerian - 02-20-2018, 01:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher officer helmets during the reign of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus Corvus 2 565 10-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  equestrian statue of marcus aurelius 174 A.D. fattkid08 4 6,093 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Marcus Aurelius in Asia Logarythmus 4 2,600 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Logarythmus