Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor?
(12-10-2017, 07:46 PM)Creon01 Wrote: No doubt Connolly was aware of the mention.

I would be very interested in what the earliest Greek language version says. Translations are always tough with these very ancient texts as words do change meanings over the years, and translators can make honest mistakes as they can not be experts on every aspect of ancient material culture.

Thanks Sean.
Well, I am sure he got the idea from somewhere, but it might have been as simple as he and his buddies 'just knowing' that you make these by sticking together layers of linen, just like some illustrators in the 1970s 'just knew' that the archers on Trajan's Column wore leather jerkins. It is a real shame that he is no longer alive to answer questions Sad

Anyone with a semester or two of Greek can go to a library, check out a critical edition of Herodotus (one with notes in the margins saying what the individual manuscripts actually say) and look at those passages. I just don't have the time.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? - by Sean Manning - 12-11-2017, 08:45 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour Sean Manning 53 5,131 10-29-2021, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book rocktupac 151 59,300 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Glued Linen Armour- a simple test Matt Lukes 239 59,744 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias