Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army "General Staff"?
Hello all,

I have a question from Niccolo Machiavelli's book The Art of War, in the quote below, does he mean Hastati and used Astati?

"FABRIZIO: I am certain that, in wanting to show how an army is well organized for undertaking an engagement, it would be necessary to narrate how the Greeks and the Romans arranged the ranks in their armies. None the less, as you yourselves are able to read and consider these things, through the medium of ancient writers, I shall omit many particulars, and will cite only those things that appear necessary for me to imitate, in the desire in our times to give some (part of) perfection to our army. This will be done, and, in time, I will show how an army is arranged for an engagement, how it faces a real battle, and how it can be trained in mock ones. The greatest mistake that those men make who arrange an army for an engagement, is to give it only one front, and commit it to only one onrush and one attempt (fortune). This results from having lost the method the ancients employed of receiving one rank into the other; for without this method, one cannot help the rank in front, or defend them, or change them by rotation in battle, which was practiced best by the Romans. In explaining this method, therefore, I want to tell how the Romans divided each Legion into three parts, namely, the Astati, the Princeps, and the Triari"

Thank you, 

Messages In This Thread
Roman Army "General Staff"? - by Mikeh55 - 07-06-2017, 07:57 PM
RE: Roman Army "General Staff"? - by Nathan Ross - 07-11-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: Roman Army "General Staff"? - by Mikeh55 - 07-14-2017, 01:49 PM
RE: Roman Army "General Staff"? - by Nathan Ross - 07-14-2017, 02:45 PM
RE: Roman Army "General Staff"? - by richsc - 07-16-2017, 04:43 AM
RE: Roman Army "General Staff"? - by Christopher Herndon - 11-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Staff Slings and the Roman Army MarcusNorwood 3 1,959 04-30-2014, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest