Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name change on enlistment
(06-27-2017, 08:57 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: It does seem that a lot of people in Egypt had two different names. It does seem odd though - why didn't he just call himself Julius Isidorus, which seems perfectly reasonable? Perhaps that would imply he'd gained citizenship... but calling himself Julius Martialis would make it appear that way anyway. Legal thing, maybe?

(was I right about the Concordia inscription, by the way?)

My guess would be that the recruit was given a Roman name by the authorities on enlistment as a means of acculturation into the military environment by seeking to suppress his pre-enlistment identity. Egypt is unusual in the amount of written evidence it produces, so it is not possible to say how far this applied elsewhere in the Empire. It seems that, nevertheless, some recruits maintained their earlier identities, especially when dealing with other members of the family. Another example is P. Cornell Inv. no. 1.64.1, in which Valerius Paulinus, formerly Ammonas, wrote to his brother using both names, even though he had completed 25 years' service. I don't think that giving a recruit a Roman name implies that he was also granted citizenship.

I think that you are probably right about the Concordia inscription. Although there are two names, the inscription is couched in the singular.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
Name change on enlistment - by Nathan Ross - 06-27-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: Name change on enlistment - by Renatus - 06-27-2017, 08:45 PM
RE: Name change on enlistment - by Nathan Ross - 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM
RE: Name change on enlistment - by Renatus - 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enlistment - where? Makas 9 2,619 10-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Makas
  Enlistment cycles Christian 6 1,870 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Enlistment Contracts in the Roman Army Lothia 8 3,624 11-02-2006, 11:47 PM